In July 2021, Mississauga was named one of the Top 7 Intelligent Communities by the Intelligent Community Forum (ICF). As part of the final step for submissions in the running to be named the Top Intelligent Community of the Year, in September 2021,City staff presented the ICF judging panel with “74 Reasons Why Mississauga is the top Intelligent Community.”
These 74 reasons include activities and innovations that foster innovation, inclusion and transparency within six main focus areas of Connect, Innovate, Engage, Workforce, Include, and Sustain.
These are some examples:
- Canada’s most connected city – Mississauga has Canada’s largest municipally-owned public sector (fibre optic) network with over 820km of fibre connecting 340+ sites citywide, making the City attractive to new business and for future city building
- Free public Wi-Fi in 95+ City facilities and 1,100+ access points
- 500+ connected MiWay buses
- Advanced Traffic Management Centre, with connected traffic signals and cameras to enhance traffic flow
- Online training and other resources for new businesses through the Mississauga Business Enterprise Centre (MBEC)
- Virtual Council, Committee and public meetings
- Chromebook and Hotspot lending programs through Mississauga Library – making technology accessible to all
- An Open Data Catalogue with 200+ data sets, along with an annual Hackathon event
For a full list of the 74 reasons and more details, check them out here.
ICF will announce which community is the winner of the title of Top Intelligent Community of the Year during the ICF Summit running from October 26 to 28. The City of Mississauga will continue the work of building on and adding to the 74 reasons regardless of the Top Intelligent Community of the Year award outcome.